Monday 9 December 2013

Ten things I want to teach my daughter

I love Pinterest (search for Emma Abdulaal and seen as you're there why not follow) and while browsing earlier came across a board entitled "100 Things I Want To Teach My Daughter". It got me thinking about all the things that I hope to teach the Mini Grumpy Egyptian in order to best prepare her for the big bad world. Here is my list of the Top Ten things I hope to teach my daughter.

  1. Don't try to be like everyone else. That would make for a boring life. It's much more fun to make your own way. Van Gogh said it best, "Normality is a paved road. It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it."
  2. No man is worth your tears and the one that is, won't make you cry. Or at least that is how the saying goes. I've always believed something slightly different in that love can be intense and intensity can make you cry. Don't be ashamed to cry. It doesn't mean you are weak.
  3. Never stop jumping in puddles, kicking fallen leaves, feeding the ducks, dipping your feet in the river, listening to music and walking barefoot on warm grass. A life without these things is a sad one.
  4. If things ever start to feel too much, never feel ashamed to ask for help. There is nothing to be ashamed of in admitting you can't do it alone.
  5. Fall in love with books and don't get stuck on one particular genre. Get acquainted with your local library and try new authors.
  6. "Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively" - Dalai Lama. Very true!
  7. What other people call impossible, you should call something that hasn't been done yet.
  8. Education can save you from almost any situation. Whether education for you is going to university or digging a well in Africa. Never stop learning or think you know enough.
  9. Every woman needs a chocolate drawer. Whether it's at work, at home, in the car or under the floorboards.
  10. When you're confused and nothing makes sense, there is one person whose wisdom is always right (aside from your mother!). "Today me will live in the moment. Unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie." - The Cookie Monster

What do you think of my list? What would you include on yours?

1 comment: