Tuesday 3 December 2013

Top Ten Children's Books

I love reading. I cannot stress enough how important it is for children to not just read and be read to, but to enjoy it as well. When I've heard friends remark that their children don't like books, I can't help but feel that perhaps they just haven't found books that they like. When I was little, my mum used to take me to the library at the weekends and I would roam around the children's section, finding things that for one reason or another appealed to me. The end result is that a couple of decades later and prior to the birth of the Mini Grumpy Egyptian, I was thinking about the books from my childhood that I wanted to share with her.

Already the Mini One has a large collection of books and I try to sit down with her at least a couple of times a week to read with her. The aim is that we will start to introduce sitting down for a story as a part of her bedtime routine in the next couple of months.

With Christmas fast approaching (how did THAT happen by the way?) I thought it might be nice to share my top ten favourite children's books.
















(Images: From top to bottom)

The Jolly Postman by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
Can't You Sleep Little Bear? by Martin Waddell
The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch by Ronda and David Armitage
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr Seuss
On The Way Home by Jill Murphy
The Day The Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
The Tiger Who Came To Tea by Judith Kerr
We're Going On A Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen
Whatever Next! by Jill Murphy

What's your favourite children's books? Are their stories from your childhood that you hope to share with your children one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment